Friday, February 6, 2009

#2: Cockshutt Factory


Cockshutt Factory
Brantford Ontario

   I remember this place being much bigger. 10 years ago I worked at the Brantford Landfill - nepotism of the extreme - and drove by this factory many times. This picture was taken last summer and out front was a massive sign posted by the City of Brantford.

"BROWNFIELD SITE CLEAN-UP INITATIVE" "Demolition of the former Cockshutt Plow Company Buildings. Completetion July,  2005"

  What I like most about that sign was the intent to make it seem like a service for the community. The remaining building is a minuet portion of what was built in the early 20th century. On the black/white photo it is the building to the far left - and only the portion that could be called a bookend.

  When I look at what the plant once was I can imagine what it could currently be - an entire sustainable community model full of shopping and residence. Brantford seems to let me down a lot of time when it comes to heritage buildings. I probably should just lower my expectations.

(Source: www.cockshutt.com)

No comments: